Monday, April 28, 2008

Who Broke Her English?

Last night we had a dinner-party here. Everyone spoke at least a little bit of English, so I was pretty happy. And, once again, everyone seemed pretty knowledgeable about the world. (Except we couldn’t remember the capital of Indiana for a good ten minutes.) It did make me realize, though, how being in Europe has exposed me to a whole new side of my family… I’ve finally gotten close to my grandparents and met all these relatives I never even knew I had. I feel like going back to America is going to feel almost as much like leaving home as leaving America did. I really wish Europe and America were closer. The thought of being somewhere where a trip to Paris or Corsica or isn’t a few hundred Euros away makes me really sad. It makes me think I should stay in Europe… just maybe not Greece. I can’t figure out now why I ended up there and not, for example, France where I know people and the language is easier. But, as Murry said last night, “America needs you right now. Someone has to change the world.” That is a bit of an overstatement, but it is true that, at least for now, my life and career goals are rooted in America. Let’s just hope no one bans me from the EU……

Another thing I appreciate about being in Europe is that the people you meet here tend to be more diverse. At least in my terms. I haven’t met one NH-raised American yet. And, let’s face it, people with different backgrounds tend to be more interesting… when you can understand them. One of the girls here last night was from British Guiana. Apparently they speak a sort of “broken English” there as their native language. I can understand her, but she talks as if English isn’t her first language. So interesting.

Well, I’m off to run and then play tennis with Murry. I haven’t played in almost a year… so I’m a little nervous. But, hey, I’m sure I’ll have a fun. (Phrase courtesy of Alexander Zuyok.)

No comments: