Friday, April 25, 2008

Rose By The Pool

Ah, a beautiful day poolside with a glass of rose. Beats a frappe any day.

Last night we went to dinner at a friend's place again. Everyone took part in what they call "Mediterranean arguments". Which are... well, I guess people around here just argue more openly. I'd love it if I could understand anything. As it is, it gives me a lot of time to observe human behavior, which I think in the long run is beneficial. Usually you listen to people when they talk/argue and don't get the chance to consciously watch them. I felt like I was doing homework for an interpersonal communication class.

Another thing about "Mediterranean arguments"is... they argue about... get this, worthwhile things. It seems to me a that an average Bonifacian fisherman knows a whole lot more about America and politics and the world than the average American. (No refridgerators here, Joanna.) At the end of the night August (Ahh-GOO-st) motioned me over and said, in slow French half translated by grandpa, "Why... after the mishaps with the war in Iraq... and everything [implied: awful] Bush did before 2004... Did Americans vote for him... AGAIN... and by a greater margin?"He was genuinely puzzled. I could answer that the American public didn't know better. Which, unfortunately, is true.

Off to a nice little dinner with my great-uncle (or is it grand uncle) and his girlfriends. Yes, plural.

xo (I write these like I'm writing an email, don't I?)

No comments: