Friday, April 18, 2008

A Parliamentary Affair

A Parliamentary Affair

So I’m reading this book titled “A Parliamentary Affair” (along with Bill and Hillary’s autobiographies). I’m not too far into it, but the book is about The House of Commons. The first part describes, both from newcomers perspectives and from seasoned MPs, what being in Parliament is like. (It’s a novel, but surprisingly well written.)

It is hysterical! I was sure the book was really about the NH House. Everything… from the types of people to the childlike jokes to the feeling that, really, government is like grade school… even the different bars near the House. There’s one part that describes how no one takes notes up when the give speeches because if they start to read everyone will chant “Reader! Reader!” Sounds like something that could happen in NH… Anyway, I’m really enjoying the book for that reason. Glad to know NH has stuck to its roots. (Also, it made me miss the State House a lot. So strange what a different life I lead now.)

It is a beautiful morning in Corsica. A bit chilly, but beautiful. Everyone has been complaining about the weather, but as long as there is some sun and I can get outside, I’m happy with it. I have a whole summer of burning-hot weather to look forward to. I’m drinking coffee outrageously slowly… a terrible habit I’ve picked up in Greece. In the land of espressos and tiny cappuccinos this doesn’t work so well because the coffee is always cold by the time I get to the bottom. Why, of all habits, did I pick that one up? I also have this annoying habit of saying, or at least wanting to say, obnoxious things like “In Greece, we don’t HAVE this at grocery stores.” “In Greece, we never do this.” It kind of reminds me of an annoying school child visiting a friend’s house. “At MY house we never drink milk with dinner…” I guess I also do it the other way around because Alex always mocks me when I talk about America. “In A-meerr-eee-ka….” I’ll have to bite my tongue when I get back, because I’m sure no one cares about the cheese selection at Alpha Vita.

So I’m starting a new business. Sort of. I’ve decided that my current work in Athens for what works out to being a few Euros an hour will kill me if I stick with it for the summer. And I’ve had an impossible time finding teaching work in Corinth… (thanks Angeliki…) My only hope is getting some private lessons OR… this: I want to launch a web site (which I’ve already made) advertising my ability to make web sites. The pay, even in dollars, would mean that even if I got one web site a month to do (in addition to the work I’m already doing) I’d be absolutely set as far as money. Maybe I’d even be able to afford a new pair of sneakers. But who knows if it will work. There are billions of people out there advertising web site design. What I have going for me is: A) word of mouth and a link on current sites and B) I’m in an odd middle point when it comes to web site design. With 8 years experience I am far from amateur, but I’m certainly not a professional. This means, for much cheaper prices, I can do similar work to a professional (I’m emphasizing simply aesthetics, which is better for both search engine optimization and, at least in my opinion, generally). I’d also be able to offer much more personal service since I’m not exactly tied down to a real job. (By the way my coffee is now cold. Damnit.) So if any of you need a web site, or know anyone who needs one… let me know. I’m thinking my URL will be either elenawilson.com or lenkadesigns.com. I haven’t decided.

Okay, time for a run. Today I’m going to run on the roads because two days ago I managed to slice open my [wonderful, Nike-ipod, Layna] sneakers on a rock and grandpa had to glue them back together and now they look very scarred. Poor sneakers. They’re nearly worn away to nearly nothing but I really love them and plus, as I alluded to before, I can’t afford new sneakers just yet.

No comments: