Thursday, April 24, 2008

On Gardening

Today I did a very small amount of gardening. I dislike gardening a lot but I thought it was only fair to help out (since I've been spoiled, fat & happy living the life in Corsica for the past month). So Anyway, as I was gardening (or, rather, scraping up pine needles from under flowers) I was thinking about why people garden. I mean, it must be because gardens are beautiful and we, as humans, like surrounding ourselves with beauty... but it doesn't seem to me worth the effort. (I assume people who garden really love gardening and being outside and spending time with flowers and dirt in a socially acceptable manner. Me, I'd still rather build a fort or have a mud-fight. I suppose the time where that is appropriate will soon pass.)

Okay back to the point: One time, dad decided we needed to clear all the acorns out of Loreli and Shasta's paddock. AlthoughI filled wheelbarrows full of acorns, more just kept falling down and I made no progress at all. That's how gardening feels to me. Nature is just going to keep making you work harder... so why do humans insist on working against nature? (That comment can, clearly, be looked at more broadly...)

When I grow up I think I will grow dandelions because they don't take any work. (On a side note, maybe we should all start growing vegetables instead of flowers. If we all grew our own vegetables we'd cut on CO2 in a trillion little ways and maybe we'd help out a little with this world food shortage CNN keeps talking about...)

Fin

(Mom used to have me put that at the end of stories I wrote when I was a little girl. I'm not sure my teachers understood.)



No comments: