Monday, April 14, 2008

A Real Post

So let me attempt a real post here.

Last night we went to dinner at the house of some friends of my grandparents. It was a lovely dinner, with fresh fish and pasta and strawberries and cheese that reminded me how much I like French cheese. When we arrived a little dog came running up to us and I pet him and he licked my face and I sighed because I miss dogs. Then I went inside and two cats surrounded me and I pet one and she purred and I really truly almost started to cry. I'm not even sure exactly why... I guess I just really really miss animals. (Not including poor strays on the streets of Corinth.) And every time I take a walk around here I think "I wish I had my horse here." That was something I'm not sure I appreciated enough about my childhood. I took for granted the fact that I had my horse out back and could ride her whenever I wanted to. Now I realize how much it sucks to not have that when you're used to it. Lesson: appreciate your pets.

Anyway, life is good in Corsica. I spend my days playing outside, mostly. I hope my future life is full of periods of time when I can take off and spend my days playing outside. What I mean by that is I am terrified of a real 9-5... mostly because I won't be able to take a month off and come to Corsica . Really I think the Americans have it completely wrong when it comes to work. In Europe you get REAL TIME OFF. So you can actually vacation... actually spend some time in the sun or on the mountain or just relaxing. How could two or three weeks a year ever be enough? Console me, someone.

Also, I want a little Corsican child of my own. I realize this would mean I'd have to find a Corsican man which I'm not planning on doing (don't worry Alex, I'm sure a little Ukrainian/American is just as good!) but oh my Goddddd this little boy came with his grandparents to visit us earlier today and he was just so darned cute (insert your jokes Shannon, Erica and Abby). There is something really really adorable about foreign children. Perhaps I am just amazed at their ability to speak a language besides English.

I guess I don't have a wholleee lot to say... just relaxing a lot and working some... but I really need this break. Just to get my head together and try to figure out what's next... Of course every time I start thinking about that I convince myself that I should just wait until I get back to Greece before I start worrying... so chances are I will be no further in my life-plans when I get back to Greece... but at least I will be rested and cheery and ready to launch myself head-first into a hot Greek summer. Or part of a hot Greek summer.

Ah well. I'm kind of killing time waiting to see if Alex gets on Skype (Skype is amazing. Alex and I played tavli online against each other last night. Incredible!) but it doesn't look like he will. I hate having to rely on computers for communication but I have like 3 euros left on my Vodafone card and I'm not sure I can get one in France that will work. (I could in Italy but not in Turkey so who knows. Although I think my phone is picking up the signal from Vodafone Italy not Vodafone France.)

Cheers, loves.

No comments: