Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Why I Didn't Become a Doctor

Yesterday Alex's mom fell and scraped up her elbow and knee. Today, since Alex was at work, I was charged with reapplying her dressings. Long (painful) story short, I'm covered in some blue staining liquid, her bandage is crooked, and she looks to be in more pain than before I went near her.

Last night, after she fell, a friend called me and asked if I could meet at the bar (where they have wireless) and help her set up her new MacBook (yay for spreading the word about MacBooks!). I said sure but Alex didn't want to come because he was worried about his mom. So I went out alone. Something I haven't done at night since I was in Athens. Alex and I go everywhere together. Why not? Anyway I show up and my friend isn't there yet (shittttt I think). The owner of the bar and one of the regulars see me and in this order, the owner spits on me (a 'you look beautiful' gesture) and the other guy asks me if I'm pregnant. "Moro?" (baby?) he asks. I was very insulted but he said it was because I was wearing a sundress (with an empire waste) which I never wear. The only obvious conclusion is that I'm pregnant. Really, I was just too lazy to change out of my beach clothes. I also think everyone is willing me to have a baby. They've already compiled a list of people who are going to fly to America for Alex and my wedding. I'm not joking about this. Later in the night the owner guy comes over and very seriously asks which month we'll be getting married in and lists all the people who will be joining him at our ceremony. Anyway, back to my arrival. I sat down between the two guys and ordered some wine (which was paid for by one of them). It was a good situation to be in because I had to make conversation in Greek and didn't have anyone to fall back on and ask "howdoyousay...?" So then my friend arrives and we play with her new computer AND new itouch (which has made me decided I NEED an iphone when I get home). After about an hour I say I need to go because I told Alex I'd only be gone a little while but people keep buying me drinks and preventing me from leaving. It was kind of strange being there without Alex because all the guys suddenly thought it was okay to stare at my ass or compliment my breasts. When the cat's away, I guess, but I was sort of offended. Anyway I end up staying there until really late and then my friend begs me to go to a taverna for a while with the owner guy. So we go to a taverna and order a huge amount of food and wine and it ended up being a pretty fun night. The things was, I spent the whole time wishing Alex was with me. I'm going to have huge separation issues when I get back to the states.

And now this blue-fingered girl needs to get back to work.

No comments: