Sunday, June 29, 2008

Jobs, Soccer, Americans

Have I mentioned that Greece is hot? I'm permanently lethargic thanks to the heat. It takes all my energy to get my ass out to the beach so I can cool off. And then I have all this work stuff. Which I have learned to never complain about, because having work is a precious thing. Speaking of... in an hour I have a little Skype date with a potential employer back in America. I'm pretty psyched because it is a campaign job which would be a nice transition back into American life. Welcome home, let's throw you into the lion's den. Better than editing English books. It will be good for me to have my head wrapped around something for a few months while I regain my balance. It blows my mind that I'm going to be back in America in a month in a half. I'm happy and excited and terrified and sad all at once. I'm going to really miss it here and I know it would be easy to just keep sliding along in my cushy Greek life (cushy minus the part that we're broke all the time). But as the old adage says... "the easiest path is not always the best". Or something like that. (Speaking of adages, Joanna I miss you.)

Last night Alex invited his current English teachers (backstory if you don't know: I met Alex when I was training to teach English. He was a kind of practice student and still attends the school, getting new teachers every few weeks.) out to watch The Big Game with us last night. He didn't tell them A) he has a girlfriend or B) his girlfriend would be with him whichhh I feel like is a little slimy because, hey, if it was me and some cute Ukranian boy said "Hey why don't you and your friends come watch the game with me" I'd be like ooohhhhhh ahhhh. (In fact a little more than a year ago I think that did happen to me... and look where we are now.) Anyway it was pretty funny when I met them because they didn't think I was America (why would I be?) and one was like "So, uh, we all speak English here huh?" And Alex and I laughed. It was nice to talk to the girls and I warned them (maybe a little too well) what TEFL Corinth and living in Greece as an American is all about. I think they appreciated my honesty but I felt a little bad afterwards. After all, anything could happen. Maybe Angeliki will finally find someone a job.

Cheers... I'm off to negotiate.

No comments: