Tuesday, June 10, 2008

on being 'greek'

I have a hangover. Alex says it is because I drank tequila after drinking cheap wine. He has a point. But let's start at the beginning:

Last night Alex was at his English lesson and I was dragging on my freelance. I couldn't handle another minute of rearranging old FCE tests... the problem with freelance, well one of the problems, is you're always burdened with getting things done, regardless of the time of day. I also spend way too much time at home. Anyway, I was feeling unmotivated so I thought I'd go for a little walk by the harbor. I was five minutes into the walk when I saw Jessica and her friend sitting at a table on the sidewalk. This is normal in Greece, to drag your furniture onto the sidewalk and drink and chat and pull up chairs when your neighbors walk by. Not something you'd see in America but I like the idea of it. If only we had a sidewalk in Francestown. So Jessica waved at me to come over and I pulled up a chair and they poured me some 2-euro-a-plastic-container rose. Mmm. We talked for a while and then Jessica and the other woman's little girls showed up and then I decided I should call Alex and let him know where I was. He was a little pissed at me for just disappearing and not taking my phone and had actually taken Ira's bike out looking for me. (I'm not sure what he expected to find. Me dead on the side of the road?) I told him to come over and, allbeit grudgingly, he obliged. By the time he arrived the Austria Poland game was about to begin so we turned a TV around in the window and watched football from the sidewalk. And everyone seemed to think this was totally normal. One of those little things I appreciate about Greece. As the evening progressed more people showed up around our little table and the alcohol flowed. Which is why we ended up going to Lazerith's place after and drinking tequila. The end. (Also, Poland and Austria tied.)

No comments: