Wednesday, July 9, 2008

What's My Name?

Does it count as an identity crisis if you're no longer sure what your name is? Two separate people asked me my name yesterday and both times I faltered... Elena... Eleni... Leena... uh. I'm sure it has an L sound in it, just call me Bob. I feel like when I'm speaking Greek I should say my name is Eleni but whenever I do I feel like I'm lying. IS that my name? Does your name really change when you jump a border? How strange.

In other news, I'm absolutely exhausted. I went to Athens yesterday to work in the office all day (weirddddd) and then hung out with Alieda and then met up with Laura and then missed the last metro home. Go me. Thankfully Laura is a Godsent a shared her bed, but that meant for a crazy morning trying to make it back to the office before anyone else got there. I was not successful. So then I worked another long day of rearranging KRATIKO tests. It was really strange being back in the office (and going up to the apartment, even though I didn't end up spending the night there). I felt like I jumped back in time except Joanna wasn't around which pretty much sucked. It did make me realize that this is totally the beginning of the end. A week more of work. Concert on the 18th. Jason visits. Zach visits. SPITI. Crazy, I think so. And I'm finally settling in here. It is going to be tough. 

Also, Aleida and I went to Applebees and it was amazing and I pretended I didn't speak Greek except I kept making mistakes. Like "kai egoImeannn me too." I feel like it is a crime to speak English, even in Athens where they expect it, since I've been here so darn long. But I still can't hold up so well just in Greek. Like the other night I was doing so well at this restaurant we went to but then I wanted to tell the waiter that the table was wobbly and I always mix up the words for table and bank so I decided to use English instead of sounding like a huge idiot who has a wobbly bank. Also, I don't know the word for wobbly. Give me another ten years and I'll totally speak Greek. 

There are like a million things I wanted to blog about but I'm hot and sweaty and tired and just want to go collapse in the living room. I'll try to be better at this as my time here comes to a close. 5 weeks and counting. 

No comments: