Monday, May 5, 2008

Are you BIKING?

Why is it that when I'm riding a bike strangers I pass make "biking" gestures to me? Do they think I am not aware that I'm riding a bike? Are they impressed with themselves for identifying the vehicle I am on? Are they attempting a backwards game or charades? On a bike ride today from the apartment to Notre Dame (Ah Notre Dame. Jeff & Rich, shout out to you here. I can't even say the name of it without thinking of 6th grade romance) I had THREE people make "biking" gestures to me. Thank you, people I passed, because of you I was ultra-aware of the fact that I was on a bike. Significantly more than if you hadn't made those gestures. 
[end rant]

Anyway, I love biking in Paris. Although it can be a bit of a challenge for the unexperienced. Like, how do you cross three lanes of traffic on a bike? And when is it appropriate to squeeze yourself in front of traffic? Only experience will tell. Unless I ask someone. Which I won't do since I don't bike in Paris very often, anyway. 

I did some thinking while I was biking and I decided my biggest problem in life right now is there are simply too many options. I want to DO everything. I want to SEE everywhere. I want to BE everyplace. There are too many things I'm interested in doing and so it all gets jumbled in my head and I end up with a crappy job in Corinth, Greece. (Not that I regret that, but it has almost opened up my range of opportunity TOO wide.) How do people choose their paths in life? Is it like positioning yourself in a nice part of town, slapping on a blindfold, spinning and choosing to walk down the road you face when you stop? How can anyone be sure of what they want if they realize the whole WORLD is at their disposal? 

If you have an answer, let me know. 

No comments: