Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Thank You Pasha.

After four months of living in America I'm back overseas and figure I should start blogging again... 

I am currently in Chernigov, Ukraine. And boy was it an interesting trip. Before I explain, though, let me just say I am THRILLED to be here. And, although disoriented, absolutely content to just lie in bed with Alex for like, the rest of eternity. (The only reason I'm writing this is because he ran out to get some potatoes for the dinner he's making me.) 

On Monday afternoon Mom, Joni and Dylan dropped me off at Logan airport. I boarded a plane to JFK and then we waited for half an eternity on the runway, causing me to just barely make my connecting flight. When I stepped (or, rather, slid) into Delta Gate 10 to board the plane I looked around and couldn't contain my laughter. Everyone looked just like Alex. I'm pretty sure I could spot a Ukranian from a helicopter. 

On the JFK-KIEV flight I was seated next to a guy that was probably Alex's long lost twin brother. He was a Ukranian with a US Passport who is currently living in Odessa, Ukraine. I was thrilled when I realized he spoke English and he (along with everyone else) was very curious as to why an American girl was traveling to Ukraine alone. We made conversation over the course of the flight and he turned out to be an interesting guy who reminded me more and more of Alex as the flight went on. And boy was that an excruciating flight. I couldn't sleep (despite three melatonin) or read or watch movies because I was so anxious to get there...

But finally we arrived. Pasha, my seat mate, took down my carry on and as he hopped across the aisle to avoid an inside-airplane traffic jam, instead of the typical wave and "nice to meet you" he said "Come with me" and then basically saved my life about 14 times. "Stand in this line" "Fill this out" "Go now" "Stand here" and then when the passport control guy said I needed Alex's address to enter the country (really?) Basha appeared out of nowhere and gave his address instead and talked the passport guy into letting me through. And then he helped with my luggage, etc, etc. (This airport was absolutely insane and I never ever would have retrieved my bags if it wasn't for him.) The last I saw him we were walking towards the exit and I looked at him nervously and he said "Go, go, see him". And there was Alex on the other side, roses in hand... 

I'll finish the story in my next post... but long story short... thanks Pasha. 

No comments: