Monday, December 22, 2008

Me? Another language?

Okay, I'll admit it... I never really tried to learn Greek. It happened to a degree, of course, just by virtue of being there, but I never really put in much effort because for some reason I never really cared. In contrast, I want to speak Russian so incredibly much... and consequently I am spending a lot of time learning. Alex and I put stickers all over the apartment today labeling "stol" and "lampa" and "cartina". I've also been trying to use it more. Roman (I adore that name when pronounced in Russian... row-ma(soft)n) was over this evening and I played hostess in Russian even though he understands English fairly well. There was one point where Alex asked me to say the Russian alphabet and I was like "ah, beh, veh, deh... uh I don't think I can... can you guys?" And then they laughed because neither of them could. 

I blame the absence of a Russian alphabet song. 

Coming tomorrow: Christmas tree shopping in Chernigov...

1 comment:

Pat said...

Lani,
Love the Lao Tzu quote. You are the traveling goddess! So happy to hear that you have arrived and are in safe hands. I commend your discipline in blogging. It's like an online diary. A great life practice. I look forward to reading your continuing exploits!

Love
Pat