Wednesday, February 4, 2009

"I have to go down there. Someone's trying to hit Vara with a stick."

So last night at about 1:30 Vara calls Alex because he left his keys here earlier in the evening. He told Alex just to go out to the balcony and throw them down (we live on the fifth floor). I have no idea what happened but when Alex came back into the living room he looked out the window, sighed, and said, "I have to go down there. Someone's trying to hit Vara with a stick." 

Alex put on his coat and went downstairs. I went to the balcony to try to see what was going on and sure enough there was a guy down there trying to his Vara with a stick. It was kind of scary to watch and I was afraid Vara would get hurt... and even though our communication sucks I have a huge soft spot for him. He's also here all the time so I'm the most comfortable with him out of all of Alex's guy friends. Anyway, Alex goes downstairs and there is yelling and arguing and finally Vara drives away and Alex comes back upstairs. Everything is OKAY. 

Apparently the guy was wasted (and possibly on drugs) and was walking by the building just as Vara pulled up... and the guy said to Vara "Someone beat me up and stole my jacket tonight!" all pissed off and then just attacked him as if he was the one who did it. I guess in the end Vara punched the guy in the face a few times and then Alex intervened and convinced Vara to go home. 

The reason I mention this is to stress how strange it is to me that this is NORMAL here. I mean, okay, maybe in like... cities... this shit happens all the time and I'm just not aware of it... but it seems like every ten minutes someone is getting in a fight here and no one backs off no matter what the situation. I can't get used to it and I just hope Alex has enough sense to stay out of trouble... 

No comments: